Created in 1938, the Fort Henry Guard was the brainchild of Ronald Way, the Director of Fort Henry from 1936 to 1965. His revolutionary idea to put costumed interpreters on the site to inform and entertain visitors was new at the time, and is now considered an essential part of virtually every major historic site.
The Guard represents the British Army in Canada in 1867. The year 1867 was chosen as the date to interpret for two reasons. First, Way felt that the year in which Canada became a nation should be commemorated. Second, the British army converted from the 150-year-old “Brown Bess” musket to the Snider-Enfield breech-loading rifle in 1867 and Way thought it would be a good weapon to interpret.
For more than 80 years, the Fort Henry Guard has earned an international reputation for its performance of precision military drill. During the famous Sunset Ceremonies that take place at Fort Henry each summer, the Drums, Squad, and Artillery come together to bring the fort to life.
Located in Kingston, Ontario, Fort Henry itself was built between 1832 and 1837. Today, this national historic site is administered by Parks Canada and operated by the St. Lawrence Parks Commission as a living museum.